The Brewing Science and Brewery Operations program prepares individuals for careers in the brewing industry through coursework and hands-on training in brewing science, technology, and brewery operations. While enrolled in the program, students will complete coursework in microbiology, chemistry, brewing science, agronomy, facilities and operations, and a variety of business applications. Upon completion of this program, students will be able to:
- Demonstrate the fundamental techniques of brewing beer;
- Demonstrate knowledge of the microbiology and biochemistry concepts of fermentation pertaining to the brewing of beer;
- Discuss the production, selection, and analysis of brewing materials including malt and hops;
- Evaluate quality of beer, and identify beer style and characteristics;
- Identify, select, and safely utilize technology in brewery operations, packaging, and handling;
- Demonstrate an understanding of the practical aspects of the brewing process; and
- Describe and apply business principles related to brewing, including compliance and licensing.